We both know tofu gets a bad reputation from non-vegans. However, this crispy, sweet and spicy tofu recipe is better than any takeout and is easy enough to make. With the perfect amount of crisp, sweetness, and spice! Pairs well over a bowl of steamed veggies and rice, or just by itself.
I’m not going to lie, i’ve never been a fan of tofu. Every time I have had tofu in a restaurant, it was always the kind that was flavorless and had a wiggly and slimy texture to it. Afraid of tofu, I avoided it at every cost.
For this recipe, I recommend using extra firm tofu, and always make sure it is organic tofu. You will want to get yourself a good tofu press. I didn’t have one for along time and would just let the tofu sit and drain on a towel or a stack paper towls which was incredibly messy. I should have just bought one sooner.
Easily one of my favorite dishes, it’s both satisfyingly delicious and my husband actually loves it! To my surprise, he asked me if I could make him a bowl of crispy tofu the other night. Ummm what did he just say???
What is Tofu? Tofu is a soy-based food that’s made from curdling soy milk, it’s then formed into a solid block. It’s a good source of plant-based protein. Being that soy is one of the most genetically modified foods (GMO) you should try and stick to organic tofu when possible.
What You Need:
- Tofu Press (trust me, makes the process so much easier!)
- Block of Organic Extra Firm Tofu
- Sriracha Sauce ( I like to use Sky Valley since it’s GF)
- Honey or agave
- Green Onions
- Organic Broccoli Florets
- Rice of Choice
- Sesame seeds (Optional)
- Avocado (Optional)
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Crispy TofuPrint Recipe
Sweet & Spicy Crispy Tofu
- Tofu Press
- Olive Oil
- 1 Block Organic Extra Firm Tofu
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Honey or Agave
- Broccoli Florets Steamed
- Diced Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds For Topping Optional
- Sliced Avocado Optional
- Drain your block of tofu in your tofu press until most of the liquid is out, I usually let mine drain overnight unless i’m hungry and need it asap, I will just do the best I can with getting all the liquid out quickly.Cut your tofu into small blocksToss your tofu blocks in a bowl of cornstarch until every block is lightly coatedCoat your skillet in olive oil and get your skillet nice and hot (somewhere between medium-high heatPour your lightly coated tofu into the skillet and be sure to spread out all pieces so each one is touching the skillet, cook for a but then toss around to get all sides nice and crispyAdd in your sweet and spicy honey/agave sriracha sauce until your crispy tofu is fully coveredPoor over a bowl of rice and broccoli (or any veggies your prefer)Sprinkle cut up green onion over the bowlYou can also add sesame seeds and avocado slices if you preferServe and enjoy!