I am obsessed with Valentine’s Day heart cookies!
When I think of Valentine’s Day, I instantly think of those cute vintage chocolate boxes. Shaped like a heart and usually covered in bows and lace, there was just something so beautiful about them.
One thing I’ve always disliked about overly decorated royal iced cookies was that they honestly, just never tasted that great.
These Valentine’s Day chocolate box cookies are made using the same cookie recipe I came up with for Jam Filled Heart Cookies which is also vegan and gluten free.
Making the royal icing is also super easy with only three ingredients, and it’s vegan!
- Powdered Sugar (Sifted)
- Dairy-Free Milk
- Almond Extract (You can use vanilla, I just prefer almond)
How Do I Make The Royal Icing?
- Be sure to sift your powdered sugar to avoid air bubbles. Mix all your ingredients until smooth and fluffy, add to a piping bag with a tip your prefer for outlining your hearts.
- Once all of your cookies are outlined and dried, add a little more milk to your icing to thin it out.
- Take your thinned out icing and flood the cookies. To thin out royal icing add a bit of non-dairy milk until it is the consistency you need.
- Be sure to pop any small air bubbles.
- Allowing to dry overnight is best, but if you must decorate, wait a few hours or until cookies are fully set and dry.
Painting The Cookies
- Gather all your food colorings and brushes
- Fill a small bowl with some clear vanilla extract or a clear vodka
- Use the extract/vodka to dilute your colors and apply smoother strokes.
- If you’ve ever used watercolors, it’s basically the same thing, only it’s edible 🙂
- Be sure not to go too heavy with the food coloring or extract. Too much could cause cracks and holes in the icing.
Some of the decorating products I purchased and used To Make These Adorable Valentine’s Day Cookies!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.